Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Now is the winter of actually pretty content.

Living in the south has radically altered my definition of winter. I admit the climate was a major attractor to the area, and when I moved down here four months ago I immediately appreciated how there wasn't any snow, and it was still pretty pleasant out. I knew it would never get as bad as I'm used to, and I assumed this would lead to a better attitude throughout the cold months, if for no other reason that the lack of chronic vitamin D deficiency which is the hallmark of six months without sun.

At first, everything went according to plan. In fact, my tolerance for the cold actually seems to have improved. Before the move south, a temperature much below 65 was cause for a sweater (unless it was really sunny). But something about the novelty of being able to survive outdoors in a T-shirt during December made me happy to dare it in the 40's if it wasn't too windy. And, sure, when it finally did snow I was appropriately unhappy, but then all the snow melted, like, two days later. This winter in North Carolina, the worst in a long time if my local friends are to be believed, is so not miserable that even a trip to the frozen wasteland of my birth* was entirely bearable, because I knew it would all be gone when I came back.

But there is a downside. On March 2nd, when the total snowfall for the year more than doubled (I think we got almost 5 inches that day) I was very upset that I would need to start wearing a coat again after a couple weeks going without. If you are a local, perhaps you don't understand what is so ridiculous about that statement. I admit, it's hidden. The key is that I went two weeks without having to put on a coat in February! In Michigan my family and friends can expect snow on the ground for much of this month, and you can't really expect nice weather with any consistency until May, and here I've been begrudging the fact I still sometimes need to wear a sweater for nearly a month.

It is amazing how quickly we adapt.


*The locals call it Michigan, which I believe is adapted from the Native American word for "really really cold," although a more literal translation would be "lacking all friendliness and warmth." This, of course, applies only to the land itself, and not the people. Michiganians, though often cold physically, share a well-deserved reputation with their fellow Midwesterners for being pleasant, wholesome, and hardy.

No comments:

Post a Comment