Sunday, March 15, 2009

Those toys were always the coolest.

I have just discovered that they have glow-in-the-dark tattoo ink.

My first thought: That's awesome! I am neutral towards tattoos, but I am heavily pro glow-in-the-dark (GITD). Last year I decided it would be great to own GITD shoes. Unfortunately all the designs I could find were designed for little kids. I did manage to find a pair designed so you could insert a glowstick into the sole, which was pretty cool, but they were no longer in production. Undeterred I explored the option of using GITD paint, but the idea was finally abandoned when I realized that all the cool colors don't hold their charge for very long. A few months later the idea resurfaced in the guise of GITD pants, with designs courtesy of a few of my artist/friends, but the need for the fabric to survive washing proved a hindrance that couldn't be overcome.

My second thought: Someone should get a full body tattoo in GITD ink. By day, they would appear normal, but at twilight their skin would slowly undergo an eiree transformation. I think this would be particularly appropriate for a Satanist, or crime-fighter.

My third thought: There is potential for a really unpleasant surprise here. Let's say you're out on a date with an attractive member of the opposite sex. Things are clicking , there is definite chemistry. One thing leads to another and they are back at your place. Then when the lights go off they suddenly have a glowing skull on their face, or full sleeve snake tattoos or something. That would be both disturbing and... distracting.

On a somewhat related note, once in my misguided youth there was an incident involving a bunch of glowsticks in the woods. Through a series of events I don't recall having anything to do with, a couple of these glowsticks ended up broken, which gave a friend and I the bright* idea to paint ourselves with the liquid and run around in the dark scaring people. This was, honestly, great fun for a couple hours, until it was time to wash it off and go to bed.

Did you know that applying soap to the liquid inside a glow stick makes it glow brighter? Even if its almost completely faded, soap is a surefire way to restore the shine. Unfortunately, after 5 minutes or so it also makes your skin burn. How did we manage to wash it off without soap you ask? Ever taken a three hour shower? Ah youth.

*No pun intended

No comments:

Post a Comment